Sunday, August 7, 2022

Monarch Release


MY MISSION TO SAVE THE MONARCH BUTTERFLY!

 

I thought I would share with you what my progress is this year to increase the monarch population.   I have released twenty six monarch butterflies since the beginning of the season.  I am nurturing 139 caterpillars with about 36 of them already in their chrysalis’s!  I found 30 caterpillars in my butterfly gardens just yesterday!  Here are a few captures of monarchs in my flower gardens.

 

 

The International Union for Conservation of Nature has now designated the beloved Monarch Butterfly as an endangered species!  I have been nurturing these precious souls for years.  I do not use pesticides in my yard or anywhere for that matter, I grow 3 types of milkweed all over my property and I encourage dandelions, clover and other wildflowers on my property.  I also grow several flowers for our precious pollinators!

 

I am disappointed and astonished that Frohn Township where I live is resisting my request for them to stop cutting down the milkweed down my dirt road.  Why the feel the need to do this on a road that is barely maintained, we are lucky if they grade it, insist on mowing a small three foot strip of land that is directly next to woods!  What makes this worse is I live in a state game refuge.  To me this policy of mowing the side of 1 mile stretch of dirt road is a waste of time and money and worse yet terrible for our pollinators! 

 

 Why should we care?  Well not only would it be a shame to lose this stunning butterfly, it is a danger to our ecosystem!  There are other wildlife species that depend on our lovely monarch!  We are the major cause for the decline in population because we are taking away the monarchs one and only food source milk weed!  Milkweed actually spells so sweet and pleasant too! 

 

#savethemonarchs #monarchbutterfly #butterflylovers #naturelovers #naturenerd #mothernature


No comments:

Post a Comment