Seaside Star -
Interesting facts about starfish:
- They are not fish they are closely related to the sand dollar and sea urchin. Scientist have replaced their name with “Sea Star” well have tried to. We still refer to them as starfish.
- They have eyes at the end of each foot to see, although not that well but the do see at the end of each foot.
- They do not have blood or a brain. They have a sea water vascular system instead of blood and their nervous system is spread through their arms. They cannot live in fresh water.
- They eat inside out – the push their stomachs out of their mouths to digest their food.
- And of course the can regenerate lost arms and can live to be 35 years old and weigh 11 pounds!
Symbolism of the starfish/sea star - The starfish is seen as a celestial symbol, and as such, they represent infinite divine love. In addition to love, the Starfish also holds characteristics such as guidance, vigilance, inspiration, brilliance and intuition. In Egyptian mythology, the Starfish is one of the many titles of the goddess Isis, under which she was adored by tempest-tossed sailors. Symmetry is another manifestation of the balance of Yin and Yang, of the unimpeded flow of ch'i.